Sunday, January 11, 2015

London: Day 7: Free Day, Sherlock Holmes Pub, Giant Comic Book Store, and the 221B Door

Today was not a jampacked day, but it was a day that I chose things to do and they were things that I enjoyed.  I only have a few free afternoons for the rest of my trip and I'll likely go do a few more things on my own then.

Today, I chose to mostly do things by myself, because I figured other people might not enjoy as much as me.  The one thing I did go do with one of my flatmates was go get lunch at the Sherlock Holmes pub.  I had mapped out my entire day and this trip required I go one stop up on the circle line, get off at Baker St, and then take the Bakerloo line done to Charing Cross station.  Then it was a short walk ot the pub.  It was pretty delicious, and one of the first true London meals I've had since coming out here.  The pub was so quaint and quiet.  I loved the atmosphere in there.  It's early on a Sunday, so not terribly busy.  Not to mention, I just love Sherlock Holmes, so this was a must see for me.

The downstairs of the pub had some pictures and stuff up on the walls that were old Sherlock Holmes relics and old first editions prints and such.  It was really awesome to see.  Their upstairs has a restaurant (not really open yet) and it had a recreation of the 221B Study.  That's what I really wanted to see. And it was spectacular, honestly.  I enjoy my food, I enjoyed the atmosphere, and I had good conversation.

We walked back to Trafalgar Square together and then parted ways.  I got on the Northern line up to Leicester Square and ended up getting a tiny bit lost, but nothing irredeemable, and then went to Forbidden Planet, which is essentially a megastore of everything awesome.  Lots of comic book stuff, tv shows, movies, comics, soooo many books.  It was just awesome.  I decided to not buy much, because a lot of what I found was stuff I could easily get back at home. But it was something that I did really want to see.  I ended up buying a holder for my Oyster card (the pass that pays for me to get on the tube and buses) which has the Gotham City Police Department badge on it. It was too good to pass up, even if I only get to use my Oyster card for about five more days now.  I also bought an Arkham Asylum passport holder.  That I will get more use out of and it was just awesome.

After that, I made my way back to the Leicester Square station, got on the Piccadilly line to King's Cross. I should have stopped there and taken a photo of platform 9 3/4 for my Harry Potter fans.  But I can easily go do that a different day.  The stop is just two stops away from the station by my flat.  Then I got on the Hammersmith and City line to Euston Square and stopped there.  I made my way to North Gower Street where I saw the street and door that they film the facade of 221B Baker St on the Sherlock show.  Of course, the address there is actually 178 N Gower St and not 221B Baker St. It was nice to see, but no pictures. Might go back a different day to get a picture, but perhaps not.  I think another day I'll go down to Earl's Court station (I believe) and get a photo of the blue police box for my Dr. Who fan friends.  Only a little bit more free time before I leave.  But I do feel considerably more comfortable getting around the city by myself now. It was easy and when I did get lost, my map did a decent job of getting back to where I needed to go.



The Sherlock Holmes Pub


The Sherlock Holmes Pub


Recreation of the study upstairs in the Sherlock Holmes Pub


Upstairs restaurant level of the pub


Again the recreation of the study


The travel pass/oyster card holder I got today


My new passport holder

No comments:

Post a Comment