Friday, January 16, 2015

London: Day 12: Last full day in London, Marine Policing Unit

Today is a bittersweet day for me.  This is my last full day in London.  I depart from my housing tomorrow at 9 am and then head directly to the airport. No more London.  I really loved London.  More than I had excited to enjoy a city. I knew I'd enjoy the experiences, but this city is just so spectacular. I wish I could plop it and all of its history right into Colorado.  But, alas, that is not really possible.  So I must promise to come back to London again, but I am not sure when that will be.  Obviously this was not a cheap trip, but it was truly worth every penny.

We started the day off by going to the Marine Policing Unit: Thames Division, which is basically their river police.  They predate the Metropolitan Police and became a unit back in the late 1700's due to thefts from boats that came through the Thames with goods.  We went through a little museum that was created by and kept by the sweetest old man ever.  He used to be in the unit and started back in the late 1950's and retired in 1980.  He started this museum in 1971.  This museum is as old as my parents.  You could tell that the museum was this sweet old man's baby.  He found everything that was in the museum and researched it all.  I don't know why this warms my heart as much as it does.

There was so much in this old carpenter's room right off of the river Thames, which is massive, by the way.  I noticed a letter from Queen Elizabeth, also known as the Queen Mother.  She's the Queen Elizabeth II's mother.  Apparently she visited this museum, and then sent a portrait of herself, because she enjoyed it.

This unit has a lot of history, obviously because it has been around for so long as well as the fact that thefts from boats were very popular.  They had a lot of executions that happened there and they seemed pretty intense.  Like 25 minute hangings and then being left to kind of just float in the water, just to make sure you were extra dead...  Old English people were odd.

Then I did a little shopping at Piccadilly Circus, got some last minute souvenirs and maybe a few small things for myself from the Lush store as well (way cheaper than in the US).   We had a farewell meal at Strada, which was paid for, and it was Italian food.  It was pretty good.  Let's just say that I miss my American food.  I am used to the comforts of home in that regard.

I am sad to be leaving tomorrow and this is my last post about London.  Like I said, it is very bittersweet.  So, I bid you farewell from London for the last night...


Old gun


Police Boat


Another boat


Surgeon's Chest


Diving suit


Museum


Museum


Plackard



Police Boat


Another boat


The punishment book


Signature of the Queen Mother


The Letter


The letter


Old guns they used to have on the boats


Again



River Thames


River Thames


Old medals

1 comment: